Whenever you tackle a new job around the home it always helps to have some inside tips on how you can avoid common mistakes and save time and effort.
To help you on your next painting job, we’ve put together our top ten painting tips. Some are simple ideas that you may think of yourself. No matter what your skill level in painting we’re sure you’ll get some value out of these handy hints on your next painting job.
UNi-PRO’s Top 10 Best Painting Tips.
- When you’ve finished painting store paint upside down so that the bottom of the paint tin won’t rust when stored for extended periods.
- If you’re painting over night, make sure you wrap up your paint brushes and rollers in cling wrap, so they don’t dry out. They can then be reused the next day to finish off you painting task.
- Always make sure you check the ideal recommended painting temperatures of for the paint you’re using. Normal application temperatures can vary between 10-25 degrees Celsius.
- When using masking tape try not to paint onto the masking tape. Tape should only be used as a precaution to painting onto the surface it is covering.
- When painting a room always start on the ceiling and then work your way down from there. Ceiling, walls, trims and finally doors.
- If you’ve a problem wall or surface, it’s best to address the source of the problem. Simply painting over problems will only mean the problem will re-occur in the near future. Taking the time to fix a few cracks or a whole in the wall and then properly sand them back will mean you’ll get a great finish that’ll last.
- If possible try to paint during daylight hours if you paint at night time it’s more difficult to see light colours. This is especially a problem if you’re using similar light colours between the ceiling and walls and trying to “cut in” the two colours.
- Remember that paint will always dry slightly darker than when it goes on the wall and is wet.
- When choosing colours remember that lighter colours generally make a room look bigger or open up the room. Whereas darker colours will close in a room by making it feel smaller and warmer.
- Make sure you thoroughly mix your paint even if the tin is new and just from the paint shop. If you want the colour to be correct you should make sure all of the tinters have been thoroughly mixed through.